Holiday Shopping Safety Tips
Are you still working on finishing up your holiday shopping? If so, you’ve undoubtedly noticed that the stores are incredibly crowded, and people tend to get a bit crazy at this time of year. Unfortunately, the hecticness of the season provides the perfect opportunity for thieves and other criminals to take advantage of unsuspecting victims.
If you’re still out doing some last-minute shopping, here are a few holiday shopping safety tips.
Whether you’re heading the to mall or checking out some smaller local shops, keep these tips in mind:
- Park your vehicle in a well-lit space. Close the windows, and be sure to lock the doors.
- Stay alert. Whether you’re shopping or just browsing, always make yourself aware of what’s going on around you.
- Don’t carry large amounts of cash. Cash is easy to steal and nearly impossible to replace. Using a credit card, debit card or even a check is much safer.
- Don’t make yourself an easy target for pickpockets and purse-snatchers. Carry your purse close to your body. Don’t carry a wallet in your back pocket. Instead, carry it in a front pocket or an inside coat pocket.
- Don’t overburden yourself. Don’t carry more than you can comfortably handle and keep track of. Make frequent trips to your vehicle to unload, if necessary.
- When you’re done shopping, put all your packages in the trunk or in the cargo area out of sight. Store valuables out of sight as well. Thieves are much less likely to break into your vehicle if they don’t see anything worth stealing.
Shopping for the holiday season can be a lot of fun, but it can quickly turn disastrous. With these tips in mind, though, you can enjoy a full day of shopping for your friends and loved ones.